Saturday, June 23, 2007

Relay for Life

This weekend I had the opportunity to be a part of something wonderful. The annual Relay for Life for the American Cancer Society. This is the first year that I've had any involvement what-so-ever and now I wish I'd participated. I wasn't an actual participant this year, although I would have if my husband hadn't had to work this weekend, but I helped my company team set up the area designated for us and stayed for some of the events that took place throughout the night and the next day. The opening ceremony was very nice. There was a speaker who spoke of his mother and how last year they were walking in support for her. She ended up passing away shortly after the relay, so he told this year that they were there to remember her and her fight. It was very moving and brought me to tears. He went on to say that he'd gotten a tattoo of a butterfly in her honor and that when he did he had to explain to the tattooist why this big burly guy was there to get a tattoo of a butterfly!!! The next two speakers were pastors from a couple different Yamhill Co. church's. One offered a prayer in Spanish and the other a prayer in English. Both very nice and asked for help in our quest for a cure. The event hoped to raise close to $100,000 for the weekend, as of Friday afternoon it was up to over $70,000! I'm interested in seeing how much was raised and if we were close to the goal!






Connie, Ushio's own cancer survivor

No comments: